Monday, August 25, 2014

Infusion Set Woes

Bruising, blood squirts, scar tissue and funky looking sites are some of the things a diabetic has to look forward to when pumping.  Those fun events combined with the Animas infusion sets not working for me had me switch to shots for about a year.  I loved having a break from my "tail" but at the end of the day I have tighter control with a pump and a pump gives me much more flexibility for working out.

However, since going back on a pump about 6 months ago I've been dealing with a seriously viscous infusion set monster.  Once again I am a happy Minimed pumper using the silhouette infusion set.  This time around 1 in 4 infusion sets are attacking my rear end.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong this time but I've ripped infusion sets out after inserting them (ouch), have had some serious bruising, and on more than one occasion have had my wife chasing me around the apartment with a towel as I didn't realize blood was "gushing" down my leg.  She is starting to realize having white sheets with a type 1 hubby may not be the best idea in the world. 

I know I have buns of steel but it's time my caboose and the infusion sets start getting along...

No comments: